Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Happy Dance...

There are few moments in life when I break out my happy dance: when I get some unexpected money, when I find a great pair of shoes, and more recently, when the scale is kind to me and shows a downward trend or when I'm able to fit into something I couldn't before.

Yesterday was one of those days for me. You see, about five months ago, I went to Old Navy to buy a pair of jeans. Now let me preface this by saying that I only in the past two years started wearing jeans again after a long hiatus. The reason being that after I hit about 180 lbs, I felt I stopped looking good in them. Also, jeans usually tell you more about your size than you might want to know. I could bear the thought of wearing an XL in an a dress, skirt or shirt, but not a size 18 and eventually 20 in a jean.

Anyway, long story short, I eventually reluctantly sucked it up and purchased a few cheap jeans from Old Navy...the stretchy kind, in a 20. WELL, a few months later, I was feeling smaller and decided I needed a new pair of jeans (I hadn't officially started any real plans to drop pounds, so the smallness was wishful thinking) . Anyhoo, I walked into Old Navy and did the the neck test(that's when you wrap the waist of a pair of buttoned up jeans around your neck and if the edges touch, it means it will fit...no need to try them on, yeah right!), figured, "ehn, the edges touch, albeit snuggly, I'll get these!" and walked out there with my new jeans.

Let me tell you, I got home, and never have I been so betrayed by a piece of clothing! I could not pull the jeans up past my thighs!!!!!! Cold sweat, panic, resignation and perhaps all the other stages of grieve were felt in that moment. "But these were a size 20! " my mind screamed. The same size as the others I'd purchased! I took a gander at both jeans and realized I'd picked up a 20 regular! No stretch! SO, humbled, I folded up these new evil jeans and put them in plain sight and vowed to one day fit into those jeans if it killed me!

WELL, I am here to report, yesterday, after my run, I was feeling...dare I say, svelte - and I slipped on those jeans. Well, it was less slipping on and more jiggling, tugging and coaxing them on, but lo and behold, I was able to button them up and they fit! I even wore a belt! Needless to say, that was a moment of true triumph for me. It took losing 60 sticks of butter, but I met a goal I set for myself. It felt and still feels amazing!

So comrades, is there an outfit you can't wait to get into? Do share! I would love to hear your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment