Sunday, July 12, 2009

Treadmill Vs. Track





Happy Sunday, all!
I hope the weekend has been great. Mine has been very relaxing, simply because except for my Saturday kickboxing class, I have deliberately done nothing else. I don't know why but I just love doing nothing on weekends, it helps me relax, regroup, and re-energize.

Anyway, last week, for the first time since I really started this weight loss journey and my running program, I took my run outside to the track. It was on Thursday and I woke up feeling like I just couldn't face the treadmill. The ennui of running in place at the gym while my staring at news shows I can't hear because I have some reggae/soca blasting in my ear just did not seem appealing to me.

So, even though it was cloudy and slightly drizzling, I decided to experiment with the track. I expected it to be hella hard because the treadmill does provide some assistance with running. If it gets too hard, you can hold on to the hand rails and you also don't have to make adjustments for curves on the track or wind resistance or the insane Texas heat we've been experiencing. Surprisingly, I was able to complete a workout similar to my treadmill work out. I am not sure why. I think most of it was sheer mental fortitude because the proud side of me did not want to be outdone by the outdoors, but also, I think having to bear my own weight with no assistance forced me to pace myself in ways I typically wouldn't on the treadmill.

So, on the track, I did a 0.25 mile walking warm up, a 2 mile run and 0.25 mile cool down. Some observations: I felt a lot more tired outside than I do running inside. The next day, my joints "hurt" more than they typically would. I wasn't in pain, or anything but I definitely could tell the difference. I'm going to continue to run on the track. It's a much softer surface than concrete but I think I get a much better workout than the treadmill. Plus I feel more at peace with nature, more spiritually grounded when I'm outside in the breeze.

I'm going to try this program out that I found on the Women's Health website:
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/intermediate-running-weightloss-program

It's an intermediate running plan and I think I'm ready to kick it up a notch.

Wish me luck!

P.S, Oh to look like that runner above. Not the cartoon, sillies!
Lara

2 comments:

  1. You go, lady! I am proud of you. I do all of my running on a treadmill. I can really only work out at 6am so finding a track around here that opens that early is impossible. I do try to switch it up and run outside on the weekends. It is a tougher work-out! I prefer the treadmill simply b/c I get some entertainment in by watching TV. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, B!!! Running is great! I love it, but some days, it kicks my butt!

    ReplyDelete