Sunday, June 7, 2009

It (probably) isn't your thyroid!

So, this may sound funny, bizarre, even sad, but last year, I was *almost* hoping I had a thyroid problem. You see, I was gaining on average about 2lbs a month and although I knew my diet was atrocious and exercise was non-existent in my life, I still couldn't quite grasp the fact that what I was suffering from was an acute case of "hand to mouth disease."

It didn't help my delusions that at a health fair hosted by my job, an acupuncturist hooked me up to a machine that would tell me which parts of my insides had blocked chi(energy). He pointed to my thyroid, kidneys and liver as problem spots and could also see in that miraculous machine that I had familial stressors. Nodding even though I couldn't really think of any at the time, I soaked it all up like a sponge. He said: "So, your recent weight gain is not your fault!" Ah! Finally! Someone who GETS it. It's not my fault I'm fat! After all, even Oprah gained weight due to a jacked up thyroid, right?

Anyhew, I took this new-found knowledge and promised to schedule a follow-up session with this wise prophet. But then, my b.s meter started going off pretty loudly in my mind. I decided that before I shelled out some money for herbs and needles, I should attempt to see what science had to say about my body. I hadn't had a physical in years and finally went in. I had the works done and after a bunch of drama(the damn doctor's office lost my blood and I had to go back a month later to get re-stuck), the results came back. The bored-sounding male nurse who called rattled off my results like he was reading off a menu: "Everything looks okay. Your kidneys are fine, your liver is fine, your good cholesterol is fine, your bad cholesterol is a bit high, so more fish oil in your diet. Your thyroid is FINE so no issues there." I don't know why but I heard in his tone: "So get off your ass and do something about your weight, it's not your thyroid!"

So here I was, confronted with two different schools of thought, one saying what I wanted to hear and the other, not really. I decided that while I'd always been curious about alternative medicine and have wanted to try acupuncture, I should try conventional methods of weight loss first. If after TRULY changing my diet and getting regular exercise, I didn't see clear and consistent results, then I would go unblock my chi.

A few pounds lost, I look back now and laugh at myself. I'm so grateful that there was nothing wrong with my thyroid. I can't imagine having to take medications to have to regulate my chemistry. Some people genuinely have thyroid problems and I'm sure it's nothing they would wish on anyone.

So friends, if you do have doubts, get a physical, rule out all possibilities that your weight is caused by anything other than over-consumption and under-activity, and if that isn't the case, suck it up and get on a plan!

Keep the faith!

Lara

P.S For more info on thyroid and weight gain see this article:
http://www.webmd.com/news/20080324/weight-gain-thyroid-gland-to-blame?src=RSS_PUBLIC

No comments:

Post a Comment